I am a motivated professional with a varied skill set and an open mind as I set out to find a job within the field of multimedia journalism and communications. I enjoy a challenge and I’m a fast learner on the job. My proven accomplishments include writing a feature article published on page one of The Boston Globe, and winning the Paul E. Hirschon Byline Award for Professional Ethics in 2012 from Northeastern University School of Journalism. I’m currently seeking full time employment as well as freelance writing work. I’m happy to provide references upon request.
Freelance Tutor ∙ July 2014-Present
English Language Tutoring
- Teaching English language learner clients on a weekly basis via Skype.
- Completed 80 hour volunteer tutoring through Angloville language immersion program in Poland in July/Aug 2014.
Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) ∙ Oct. 2012-May 2014
Editorial Assistant at Circulation Journal (staffed by BWH) –Aug. 2013-May 2014
- Processing and style-checking new manuscript submissions to American Heart Association’s Circulation Journal. Preparing decision letters, updating blog, updating journal web pages, providing administrative support for authors, etc.
Web assistant at the BWH Biomedical Research Institute — Oct. 2012-Aug. 2013
- Updating and creating SEO-friendly keyword-tagged web pages. Editing and uploading photos, PowerPoint presentations, PDFs and other files to web. Writing and editing copy for web and print.
American Student Assistance ∙ Jan. 2013-Present
SALT Blog contributor
- Blogging twice a month about eating on a budget for American Student Assistance (ASA) budget lifestyle website Saltmoney.org. First-person storytelling about my experiences.
The Boston Globe ∙ July 2011 – Present
Freelance writer — July 2011-present
- Writing 600-1300 word feature articles and shorter blurbs for living/arts section of the paper and blog posts for The Globe’s sister sites Boston.com and BDCWire.com. Topics covered include food, lifestyle, fashion, budgeting, music, art, DIY, and celebrities.
Boston.com features section Co-op — Jan. -June 2012
- Creating and posting online content, including breaking A&E news items, photographing events, building photo galleries, writing captions, SEO headlines, keyword tags, blogs, social media posts, etc.
Globe living/arts desk co-op — July-Dec. 2011
- Coordinating office operations. Compilation of daily local TV, radio, and web program listings. Calculation of weekly book bestsellers and updating the books blog. Assisting Bostonglobe.com staff with entering keywords and tags for articles.
Northeastern University ∙ Sept. 2010-April 2012
Editorial Lab Assistant/Writer — Sept. 2010-April 2012
- Writing obits, news briefs, and articles about the journalism industry for New England Newspaper & Press Association (NENPA) E-Bulletin. Training new writers.
- Supervising a computer lab at the Northeastern School of Journalism
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism — Aug. 2012 — magna cum laude
Honors, awards and activities: Winner of Paul E. Hirshson Byline Award for professional ethics 2012, Grand Lodge Scholarship from the Massachusetts Freemasons 2009-2011. Elected arts & entertainment editor at The Huntington News from Jan.-Aug. 2011. HN staff writer and tutor/mentor to new writers 2009-2012. The Huntington News won second-place NENPA College Newspaper of the Year in 2011. Participant in 2012 Dialogue of Civilizations summer study abroad program to Germany and Turkey.
SKILLS AND INTERESTS
Computer skills: Experienced with Microsoft and Mac systems, all MS Office programs, InDesign, Quark Express, PhotoShop, iMovie, basic HTML, all social networking sites. Experienced with web publishing using Bonzai, Methode, WordPress, and Interwoven Team Site.
Hobbies/interests: Cooking, food blogging, travel, fashion, music, theatre, play writing, fiction writing, biking, telemark skiing, volunteer tutoring.